A Thousand Words A Day

A writing journal _____________________________ PROFESSORBLOG@HOTMAIL.COM

writing: _ Christian Writers _ _ NaNo _

reading: _LibraryThing_ _ BookCrossing _ _ My local library _ _ Another nearby library _

blogs: _ Lorie Rees_ _Itinerant Iconoclast_ _ Rita's Ravings _
My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Reader, writer, podcast listener, and TV watcher. And real nice guy.

Thursday, December 19, 2002

I've Been Sick
Do I need a note from my doctor to get an excused absence for missing a few says this week? Please forgive me. I don't think I'll get my 5 days a week in this week, but it is the thought that counts, right? I spent the whole night Tuesday not sleeping, taking trips to the bathroom, throwing up, blah blah blah. The whole kit and kaboodle, as it were. But I got no sleep, and it took its toll on me the next day. I spent yesterday sleeping. The cats were very friendly and took good care of me. They were very nice. I do not know exactly what the process is, but animals, and cats specifically, seem to know when their owners are feeling unwell, and take extra good care of them in those situations. That is what I have found in my life and conversation with others. Either that or they want to sleep all day, and when their owner spends all day in bed they figure that gives them carte blanche to do the same! I don't get the whole "Pet Psychic" phenomenon, and I'm not even so sure about human psychics, but there is something about cats and their owners, and some weird connection there. It is just beyond me, but I know it is there.

The worst thing about getting sick is the toll it takes on the rest of the body. My abs are killing me, and have been for the whole day. Maybe I just need to work out more on my abs and the stress of retching won't be as harsh next time. And my shoulders hurt, too. That one I can't figure out. Maybe it is just a matter of the stiffness that comes from being so darn tired. I slept all day and slept hard. So I think my stiffness is a result of that. But wow did my head hurt last night. That was unbelievable pain. But I slept well last night and I think that is the key on my road to recovery. I feel pretty close to fine today. The worst thing is not being able to eat. Yesterday I had that weird feeling of having a tender tummy but also having an empty tummy! So I wanted to eat, but wondered if I could keep anything down. I spent all day eating a banana. Not all day eating bananas, plural. But I spent all day eating a banana, a single banana, one banana. Then I got crazy and ate a waffle for dinner! Crazy, huh? Bold and decisive move on my point. Today I had a small bowl of cereal and milk for breakfast. Lunch is up in the air. I need to figure out some triangulation between what I want, what we have, and what I can stomach.

I have had my flu shot, and do not think that this was the flu. I did not have all of the characteristics of the flu, but instead seemed more like I ate something that disagreed with me. This is very possible, because I ate a whole bunch of crap over the last few days before becoming ill. I think this is a very likely explanation. I have changed my eating habits over the last 6 months or so and dropped about 15 pounds, but I fell into my old habits this past weekend. As a matter of fact, I purposely ate bad stuff on Monday. It was a silly move, but it made sense at the time. I went to the doctor in the morning, and "celebrated" with junk food afterwards. I think this was all part of becoming sick. It was kind of nutty, I admit, and maybe now I realize that I have to keep with my good habits or risk getting sick again. Maybe I have changed my body chemistry enough that I can no longer tolerate the junk I used to eat. That, and getting older, probably both contribute to this. There are some drawbacks to growing older, but it does beat the alternative.

I actually don't get sick very often. The only other time I can remember getting sick to the point of vomiting was maybe seven or eight years ago. Those are the only two times that I have gotten this sick as an adult. Of course, the fact that I don't drink probably contributes to my lack of vomiting. I can't understand trying to vomit, or drinking so much that you vomit. I just don't get that. Of course, I respect my brain cells too much to drink anyway, but that is another subject for another day. I have never drank alcohol, and God willing I never will.

I am not very good at being sick. Some people are good sick people, but I am not one of them. I am cranky and my personality changes completely. I am a gregarious, joking, happy go lucky sort of guy, but when I am sick I am just a miserable person. My family was great to me, they were pleasant and did not take anything I did or said in the wrong way. They do not have a lot of experience dealing with me being sick, but they handled it brilliantly. Of course I owe them BIG now and so I have to go out today and get more and better Christmas presents for my family members. Oh well, it was worth it.

Hard to belive one could come up with a thousand words about being sick. But the point of this daily (or almost daily) site is to get me into the habit of writing a thousand words a day about whatever, about anything. So I guess this is a success!

So again I apologize for not being here the last few days and I beg your forgiveness. But I feel better now and hope to get back on the ball soon. Maybe some more writing tomorrow. Thanks for your support and I hope to see you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home